<< , >> , Title , Contents , Index

8. MINUTES FROM MEETINGS


8.1 SPECIAL GROUP MEETINGS

These are impromptu meetings which are called when it is urgent to discuss certain issues.

8.1.1 Special Group Meeting Week 1

venue: UWSN KUG25 (Big Shoe Box)
time: 29 July 1997, 10:00am to 11:00am
present: David, Michael, Mik and Stephen
8.1.1.1.1 Meeting Times

Put off deciding this until next week, when we can all be here and we're all more sure of our tute times, etc.

8.1.1.1.2 To do list

The following list shows what needs to be done to finish the project. They are shown with most important things first.

1. Socket interface semantics

2. Environment simulator

3. Real environment window

4. BOTSsim window (main form)

5. Robot ranking (done in environment)

6. Saving and loading runs

7. Rule set window

8. Super TED (like Big TED only better)

9. Testing/debugging

10. Cosmetic stuff (eg: multiple bot icons)

11. Tweak help and user doccos

8.1.1.1.3 What should we do after the program is finished?

The following ideas were suggested but not discussed much:

8.1.1.1.4 Concurrent Version System

CVS, the version control system that replaces tokens,will need to be discussed further. In general we are in favour of it.

8.1.1.1.5 Meeting Tomorrow (Wednesday) 3:00pm KP124

This is in our timetables. Please be there, so we can find out details about the following:

8.1.1.1.6 To do list

8.1.2 Special Group Meeting Week 6

venue: UWSN KUG50
time: 3 September 1997, 12:30pm
present: Colin, David, Michael, Mik and Stephen
8.1.2.1.1 Source code control
8.1.2.1.2 CVS

Before CVS can be implemented, we need:

There was discussion about how urgent it was to implement CVS, which lead to the next agenda item.

8.1.2.1.3 Current Priorities

Although implementing CVS will speed up the project (because we won't be reinventing the wheel as much), it is probably better to wait until next week to do this. There are several reasons for this:

After a brief discussion, the current priorities were deemed to be:

1. Report IV--Mark still needs to do some work for this, especially the current Gantt Chart

2. Version 1--Some of the changes made yesterday need to be redone because of the overwritten code

3. Implementation of CVS--This can be done next week, after Report IV and Version 1 are finished, and everyone has their nasty exams out of the way.

8.2 GROUP MEETINGS

These are weekly meetings where we discuss groupwide issues. They mostly due to start at 9:15am every Tuesday, and every group member is supposed to be present at them.

8.2.1 Group Meeting Week S1

This meeting was cancelled because of lecture clashes.

8.2.2 Group Meeting Week S2

venue: UWSN KY238 (Project Room)
time: 5 August 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael, Mik and Steve

8.2.2.1 Component Progress Reports

8.2.2.2 Things to do

Everyone will do coding as they see fit to ensure the project is complete next fortnight.

8.2.3 Group Meeting Week S3

venue: UWSN KY238 (Project Room)
time: 12 August 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael, Mik and Steve

8.2.3.1 Project Meetings

8.2.3.2 Client Meetings

8.2.3.3 To Do List

Vigorous discussion about what to do, in order, to finish the project. Dates and the people responsible have been added for items up to the next group meeting.

#


Description


Person responsible


Should be done by


1.


Start Run coding--Run Brain (GUI à GUI)


Steve


12th


2.


Start Run coding--Init Brain procedure (GUI à Environment à Brain)


Colin, Steve


12th


3.


Clone worlds environment code


Michael


13th


4.


Start Run coding:

* Clone Worlds

* Assign Bots

* Evaluate Bots


Colin, Michael, Steve


14th


4.


Robot World parser message


Colin


14th


5.


Drop block environment function


Michael


15th


6.


Fitness level update


Michael


15th


7.


Comms debug window


Steve


15th


8.


Support for getting and setting rule set


David, Mark


15th


8.


Rule set parser messages


Colin


15th


9.


Rule set and bot windows


Mik


17th


10.


Parser error message


Colin


19th


11.


Capability for multiple environment windows




12.


The real environment window




13.


Loading and saving runs




14.


Parser's okay message




15.


Hit-o-gram




16.


Robot ranking




17.


BOTSsim (main) window




18.


TED scroll bar bug fix




19.


Testing and debugging




20.


Update online help




21.


Update user documentation




8.2.3.4 Report IV

We discussed Report IV, and when it's due.

We will ask George this afternoon if we can hand in report IV, together with the completed (original) project, at the end of week 5.

8.2.4 Group Meeting Week S4

venue: UWSN KY238 (Project Room)
time: 19 August 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin (Late), David, Michael, Mark (Late), Mik, Stephen.

8.2.4.1 General Commitment

8.2.4.1.1 Turning up on time

We'll aim to be here at 9:00am.

8.2.4.1.2 Staying at meetings

Get drinks, have toilet breaks, and deal with students before 9:15am, and stay at the meeting venue until 10:50am. Doing other things is okay, as long as we're all available to be yelled at.

We'll take breaks occasionally, but at the same time.

8.2.4.1.3 Being awake

Let's take our breaks at the same time, and not go for longer that half an hour without a break.

8.2.4.2 Preparing Agendas

8.2.4.3 Gantt Chart

8.2.4.4 Report IV

8.2.4.5 Web Page

The web page needs:

Mik will do all this in time with Report 6.

8.2.4.6 Ravi's Backup Concerns

8.2.4.7 Steps for making changes

These are subject to change when Mark works out CVS, which should be done in time for the new project.

8.2.4.8 To Do List

Discussion about what to do, in order, to finish the project. Dates and the people responsible have been added for items up to the next group meeting.

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


Now Due


0.


Hooking up for testing purposes.


most of us




asap


1.


Start Run menu function--Run Brain (GUI à GUI)


Steve


12th


Yes.



2.


Start Run menu function--Init Brain procedure (GUI à Environment à Brain)


Colin, Steve


12th


Stalled due to bug.



3.


Clone worlds environment code


Michael


13th


Yes.



4.


Start Run menu function:

* Clone Worlds

* Assign Bots

* Evaluate Bots


Colin, Michael, Steve


14th


Mostly:

* Yes

* No.

* Yes.


19th


4.


Robot World parser message


Colin


14th


Need step 4.



5.


Drop block environment function


Michael


15th


Yes.



6.


Fitness level update


Michael


15th


Yes.



7.


Comms debug window


Steve


15th


Yes.



8.


Support for getting and setting rule set


David, Mark


15th


Yes.



8.


Rule set parser messages


Colin


15th


Need step 9.


20th


9.


Rule set and bot windows


Mik


17th


No.


19th


10.


Parser error message


Colin


19th


No.


20th


11.


Capability for multiple environment windows






12.


The real environment window


Steve




22nd


13.


Loading and saving runs


Michael




22nd


14.


Parser's okay message


Colin




22nd


15.


Hit-o-gram


Steve




22nd


16.


Robot ranking


Mik




22nd


17.


BOTSsim (main) window


Steve




22nd


18.


TED scroll bar bug fix






19.


Testing and debugging


All of us




2nd


20.


Update online help


Steve




2nd


21.


Update user documentation


Steve




2nd


8.2.5 Group Meeting Week S5

venue: UWSN KY238 (Project Room)
time: 19 August 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, Mark, Mik, Stephen (Late).

8.2.5.1 Agenda Items

8.2.5.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list
8.2.5.1.2 Open Day
8.2.5.1.3 Leaving SAD machines logged in as yourself and going for a walkabout lasting longer than about 5 mins
8.2.5.1.4 Setting the seed for the random number generator using SetGPVariables
8.2.5.1.5 Report IV

We need the following:

8.2.5.2 Non-Agenda Items

8.2.5.2.1 Teddy bears

Steve has some cool teddy bear icons. He will implement the best one in time for open day.

8.2.5.2.2 Parser error/okay messages

We convinced Colin to enable error handling at the environment/GUI end, even though they're not actually sent.

8.2.5.2.3 Keeping protocol messages in order

8.2.5.3 To Do List

Vigorous discussion about what to do, in order, to finish the project. Dates and the people responsible have been added for items up to the next group meeting.

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


Now Due


0.


Hooking up for testing purposes.


most of us


asap


Yes.



4.


Start Run menu function:

* Clone Worlds

* Assign Bots

* Evaluate Bots


Colin, Michael, Steve


19th


Yes.



4.


Robot World parser message


Colin



Yes.



8.


Rule set parser messages


Colin


20th


Yes.



9.


Rule set and bot windows


Mik


19th


Yes.



10.


Parser error message


Colin


20th


No.


26th


12.


The real environment window


Steve


22nd


Mostly.


26th


13.


Loading and saving runs


Michael


22nd


No.


31st


14.


Parser's okay message


Colin


22nd


Need #13.


2nd


15.


Hit-o-gram


Steve


22nd


Mostly.


2nd


16.


Robot ranking


Mik


22nd


Started...


26th


17.


BOTSsim (main) window


Steve




22nd


18.


TED scroll bar bug fix






19.


Testing and debugging


All of us




2nd


20.


Update online help


Steve




2nd


21.


Update user documentation


Steve




2nd


22.


Concept of a generation (time steps)


Steve and Colin




26th


23.


Sending fitnesses


Michael




29th


24.


Automation of animation


Steve and Colin




26th


25.


Ability to play midi files


All of us





8.2.6 Group Meeting Week S6

venue: UWSN KY238 (Old Project Room)
time: 2 September 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, David, Michael (late and wet), Mik, Steve (late).
Apologies in advance from Mark for not turning up
Apologies in advance from Steve for being late

8.2.6.1 Agenda Items

8.2.6.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list

Everything else on last week's To Do list has been done.

8.2.6.1.2 Source code control (CVS)

This item has been postponed until next week, since Mark is not here, and the rest of us have limited knowledge of CVS.

8.2.6.1.3 Code Review and Internal QA

Component


To be reviewed by


Bot Form


Colin


Comms Debug


Colin


Run Information Dialogue


Colin


About box (and subordinates)


David


Show Environment


David


TED


David


Evaluation


Mark


Run Information Functions


Mark


Worldsize


Mark


Hit-o-gram


Michael


Main Form


Michael


Parser


Michael


Bot Box


Mik


Comms


Mik


Environment Window


Mik


Environment


Steve


Fasteval


Steve


Geometry


Steve


8.2.6.1.4 Converting standards to HTML
8.2.6.1.5 Report IV
8.2.6.1.5.1 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


ID zero is assigned to multiple bots.


Perhaps only bots in one world are being assigned IDs, since when we have two worlds with three bots each, three of them have ID zero. OTOH, maybe the last bot in each world isn't being assigned a number.


Colin.


The fitness function needs improvement



Nobody.


The hit-o-gram does not display zero hits properly


No idea.


Steve.


Loading and saving templates causes crash



Michael.


General corruption of bot IDs


Trace through the code that assigns bot IDs


Colin.


You can't restart the simulation after stopping it (as opposed to pausing it)--it says "cannot hook up with brain component"


Perhaps the brain is not being closed properly after stopping, or maybe it's happening too fast.


Colin.


The hit-o-gram only shows hits--drops and pickups would be a nice addition.


Using tabs.


Steve.


8.2.6.1.5.2 Open day report

Mark was volunteered to write a couple of paragraphs about our presentation at Open Day. He'll do this this afternoon, so it can be included in Report IV.

8.2.6.1.5.3 Gantt Chart

Mark didn't do it. Steve will try to do it today, and if not, will get Mark to finish where he left out.

8.2.6.1.5.4 QA of group 9707

Mik will e-mail these clowns and set up a meeting time.

8.2.6.1.5.5 Version 1.00

Version 1.00 will be finished very soon. The bugs that need to be fixed are noted above, and the other things to do are listed in the To Do list below.

8.2.6.2 Non-Agenda Items

Michael's telephone number has been written to Report IV.

8.2.6.3 To Do List

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


Now Due


10.


Parser error message


Colin


26th


Yes.



12.


The real environment window


Steve


26th


Yes.



13.


Loading and saving runs


Michael


31st


No.


2nd


14.


Parser's okay message


Colin


2nd


Need #13.


2nd


15.


Hit-o-gram


Steve


2nd


Not sure.


2nd


16.


Robot ranking


Mik


26th


Mostly.


2nd


17.


BOTSsim (main) window


Steve


22nd


Yes.


22nd


18.


TED scroll bar bug fix






20.


Update online help


Steve


2nd


Yes.



21.


Update user documentation


Steve


2nd


No.


2nd


22.


Concept of a generation (time steps)


Steve & Colin


26th


Yes.



23.


Sending fitnesses


Michael


29th


Yes.



24.


Automation of animation


Steve & Colin


26th


Yes.



8.3 GROUP MEETINGS

8.3.1 Group Meeting Week S7

venue: UWSN KY238 (Old Project Room)
time: 9 September 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin (late), David, Mark (late), Michael (late), Mik, Steve

8.3.1.1 Agenda Items

8.3.1.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list
8.3.1.1.2 Source code control (CVS)
8.3.1.1.3 Code Review and Internal QA
8.3.1.1.4 QA of group 9707

How should we do it?

8.3.1.2 Non-Agenda Items

8.3.1.2.1 Loading and Saving Runs
8.3.1.2.2 Next Week
8.3.1.2.3 This week's project meeting

8.3.1.3 To Do List

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


Now Due


13.


Loading and saving runs


Michael


2nd


No.


Yesterday.


14.


Parser's okay message


Colin


2nd


Need #13.



15.


Hit-o-gram


Steve


2nd


Almost.


9th.


16.


Robot ranking


Mik


2nd


Almost.


9th.


21.


Update user documentation


Steve


2nd


Yes.



8.3.1.3.1 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


ID zero is assigned to multiple bots.


Perhaps only bots in one world are being assigned IDs, since when we have two worlds with three bots each, three of them have ID zero. OTOH, maybe the last bot in each world isn't being assigned a number.


Colin.


Yes.


It was a parser bug.


The fitness function needs improvement



Brain team.


Yes.


Still being improved.


The hit-o-gram does not display zero hits properly


No idea.


Steve.


Yes.


Yay Steve and Colin.


Loading and saving templates causes crash



Michael.


No.


Change it to text... we'll trash it out in e-mail.


General corruption of bot IDs


Trace through the code that assigns bot IDs


Colin.


Yes.


See above.


You can't restart the simulation after stopping it (as opposed to pausing it)--it says "cannot hook up with brain component"


Perhaps the brain is not being closed properly after stopping, or maybe it's happening too fast.


Colin.


Yes.


Possibly caused by paging--it's less of a problem when there's more RAM.


The hit-o-gram only shows hits--drops and pickups would be a nice addition.


Using tabs.


Steve.


Done.


Nice work, Steve.


Bots can drop one block an infinite number of times (without picking it up each time.)


Either it's not dropping properly, or the pickup counter is not implemented.


Michael.




8.3.2 Group Meeting Week S8

venue: UWSN KY108 (New Project Room)
time: 16 September 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin (late), David (late), Mark (late), Michael, Mik, Steve

8.3.2.1 Agenda Items

8.3.2.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list
8.3.2.1.2 Consequences of Moving to the First Floor
8.3.2.1.3 Future Directions of the BOTS Project

After some discussion about what we should be aiming for, we agreed that the central focus should be a high distinction. To achieve this, we need:

We discussed the new aim of the project. The program should be able to produce the following things for the following users:

8.3.2.1.4 Review of Module Abstraction
8.3.2.1.5 Source code control (CVS)

This has been deferred to tonight's meeting.

8.3.2.1.6 Databases

Although we can see some minor benefits, we don't want a database now for the following reasons:

8.3.2.1.7 Recording Progress and Results of Runs (aka "log files")

This has been deferred to tonight's meeting.

8.3.2.1.8 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


Loading and saving templates causes crash



Steve and Colin.


No.


We still need to thrash out how to do it.


Bots can drop one block an infinite number of times (without picking it up each time.)


Either it's not dropping properly, or the pickup counter is not implemented.


Steve will look at the code and wee what he can do.


No.



If Bot.Carrying <> NIL Then Bot.Carrying.Carried := False causes an access violation.


Dangling pointer problem.


Mark.


No, but Colin has done a quick fix.



When picking up and dropping, picking up is rewarded by the system but incorrect dropping is not punished.




Yes.



When a bot tries to pick up a block that's not in the DA, neither its fitness nor its pickup count increases.



Michael.


No.


Michael: "I thought I fixed that!"--it probably got overwritten.


8.3.2.2 Non-Agenda Items

8.3.2.2.1 Bot fitness notation

There are two types of fitness: raw fitness, and refined fitness. Raw fitness follows a higher-is-better convention, and is displayed throughout the program. Refined fitness, calculated at the end of each generation, follows a lower-is-better convention, and is used within the brain and is printed to log files.

The fitness function will be reviewed shortly.

8.3.2.2.2 Saving templates and things

We will save the following in a text format, following an object-orientated approach. The following will be saved:

8.3.2.2.3 Special group meeting

We will have a special group meeting tonight at 7:00pm to finalise project direction, abstraction and CVS setup.

8.3.2.3 Discussion Points for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

8.3.2.4 To Do List

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


Now Due


13.


Loading and saving runs


Michael


1984.


No.


"Some time this week"


14.


Parser's okay message


Colin



Need #13.



15.


Hit-o-gram


Steve


9th.


Almost.


"Some time this week"


16.


Robot ranking


Mik


9th.


Almost.


a.s.a.p.


8.3.3 Group Meeting Week S9

venue: UWSN KY108 (New Project Room)
time: 23 September 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin (late), David (late), Mark (late), Michael (late), Mik, Steve

8.3.3.1 Agenda Items

8.3.3.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list
8.3.3.1.2 Fitness Function
8.3.3.1.3 Future Directions
8.3.3.1.3.1 What Was Decided?
8.3.3.1.3.2 Changing the fitness function at runtime

This warrants further investigation, so that GP research users can change it. The brain team will look into this.

8.3.3.1.3.3 GUI/Environment Team

Creating the stats component GUI, standardising interface, etc.

8.3.3.1.3.4 Creating a Schedule

We need to see what George wants now that he's back, and we'll create a schedule after the break.

8.3.3.1.4 Module Abstraction

We will discuss this properly after we've completed internal QA.

8.3.3.1.5 Source code control (CVS)

Alf is currently looking into this.

8.3.3.1.6 Internal QA

This will be reviewed at the bot meeting after the break, by which time Michael and Mark will have done theirs.

8.3.3.1.7 External QA

The other group has no documentation to give us yet. We'll hassle them again after the break.

8.3.3.1.8 Presentations

It was noted that we need to give a presentation after the break. We will know tomorrow night when it is. Since Colin, Mark and David's Wednesday night lecturer is George, they will hopefully be accommodated for.

8.3.3.1.9 Cooling it Over Spring Break

Our only meeting over Spring will be playing Robo Rally some time.

8.3.3.1.10 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


Loading and saving templates causes crash



Steve and Colin.


Yes!!!


Hooray!


Bots can drop one block an infinite number of times (without picking it up each time.)


A side-effect of the next bug:





When a bot tries to pick up a block that's not in the DA, neither its fitness nor its pickup count increases.



Michael.


Yes, but not tested.


Michael: "I thought I fixed that!"--it probably got overwritten.


If Bot.Carrying <> NIL Then Bot.Carrying.Carried := False causes an access violation. Has to be fixed properly!


Dangling pointer problem.


Mark.




Resetting and starting a new run often causes "Could Not Hook Up Brain Component".


Try hooking up ten times, and then report an error.


Steve and Colin.




8.3.3.2 Non-Agenda Items

Mik will ring everyone else next time to make sure they turn up on time--be here at 9:00am!

8.3.3.3 Discussion Points for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

8.3.3.4 To Do List

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


13.


Loading and saving runs


Michael


"Some time last week"


No, but leading and saving templates works real good now!


14.


Parser's okay message


Colin



Yes.


15.


Hit-o-gram


Steve


"Some time last week"


Yes.


16.


Robot ranking


Mik


a.s.a.p.


Just about.


8.3.4 Group Meeting Week S10

venue: UWSN KY108 (New Project Room)
time: 14 October 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, David (early), Mark, Michael (late), Steve
Mik sent his apologies.

8.3.4.1 Agenda Items

8.3.4.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list
8.3.4.1.2 Where The BOTS Project Stands
8.3.4.1.3 Quality Assurance
8.3.4.1.4 The BOTS Minor Presentation - Wednesday Night
8.3.4.1.5 Report V
8.3.4.1.6 Project Schedule
8.3.4.1.7 Demo for George Today
8.3.4.1.8 CVS or Bust
8.3.4.1.9 The Statistics Component
8.3.4.1.10 Internal QA

Michael still has not done his Internal QA. He will try and complete this today.

8.3.4.1.11 Module Abstraction

We will still discuss this properly after we've completed internal QA.

8.3.4.1.12 External QA

The other group still has no documentation to give us yet. See above.

8.3.4.1.13 Presentations

It was noted that we need to give a presentation after the break. We will know tomorrow night when it is. Since Colin, Mark and David's Wednesday night lecturer is George, they will hopefully be accommodated for.

8.3.4.1.14 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


If Bot.Carrying <> NIL Then Bot.Carrying.Carried := False causes an access violation. Has to be fixed properly!


Dangling pointer problem.


Mark.


No.



Resetting and starting a new run often causes "Could Not Hook Up Brain Component".


Try hooking up ten times, and then report an error.


Steve and Colin.


Yes.


We added a Retry Count J


8.3.4.2 Non-Agenda Items

Mik will ring everyone else next time to make sure they turn up on time--be here at 9:00am!

8.3.4.3 Discussion Points for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

8.3.4.4 To Do List

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


1


Loading and saving Run Information.


Stephen.


14th



2


Loading and saving S-Expressions.


Colin


14th



3


Robot ranking


Mik


14th



4


Testing Greedy Over-Selection.


Brain Team.


14th



5


Profile the Environment.


Michael.


21st



6


Find out Presentation Information.


Stephen


15th



7


Team Progress Reports.


David & Colin--Brain, Stephen--GUI, Michael--Environment.


18th



8


Update Gantt Chart.


Mark.


21st



8.3.5 Group Meeting Week S11

venue: UWSN KY108 (New Project Room)
time: 21 October 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael, Mik, Steve

8.3.5.1 Agenda Items

8.3.5.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


1


Loading and saving Run Information.


Stephen.


14th


Yes.


2


Loading and saving S-Expressions.


Colin


14th


No.


3


Robot ranking


Mik


28th



4


Testing Greedy Over-Selection.


Brain Team.


14th


Yes. Gave worse results.


5


Profile the Environment.


Michael.


21st


No. Steve will do it by next week, and "Michael will stick his head in a pig"--Mark.


6


Find out Presentation Information.


Stephen


15th


Yes, but we don't know our target audience.


7


Team Progress Reports.


David & Colin--Brain, Stephen--GUI, Michael--Environment.


18th


Steve's done it. Nobody else has. Grrrr.


8


Update Gantt Chart.


Mark.


21st


No.


8.3.5.1.2 Report V
8.3.5.1.3 Gantt Chart

We revised the Gantt chart, to include the entire project.

8.3.5.1.4 Internal QA

David has not done his yet. It was noted that two months ago he said he had. We want him to have it done by 24 October 1997.

8.3.5.1.5 QA on SAD9707

We have set a deadline for their QA submission. We have e-mailed notice of this deadline to them. The deadline is 9:15am on 28 October.

8.3.5.1.6 Blocking I/O

Instead of having the GUI constantly polling the brain for information, we can use blocking I/O and have the operating system wake up the GUI when the brain responds. This dramatically reduces CPU load, and should speed up the program.

Michael will implement this Friday.

8.3.5.1.7 BOTSSTAT
8.3.5.1.7.1 Advantages
8.3.5.1.7.2 Issues
8.3.5.1.8 Presentation
8.3.5.1.8.1 When is it?
8.3.5.1.8.2 How long is it?
8.3.5.1.8.3 Who can be there?
8.3.5.1.8.4 Outline

It is a progress report, informing everyone what's changed since the end of last semester.

8.3.5.1.9 Final Presentation
8.3.5.1.10 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


If Bot.Carrying <> NIL Then Bot.Carrying.Carried := False causes an access violation. Has to be fixed properly!


Dangling pointer problem.


Mark.


No.



8.3.5.2 Non-Agenda Items

Discussion on how to improve group meetings. Next week we'll try being more flexible in what we discuss at what time. We'll periodically check whether we've covered everything, and cover issues involving the whole group first.

8.3.5.3 Discussion Points for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

8.3.5.4 To Do List

#


Description


Person responsible


Now Due


2


Loading and saving S-Expressions.


Colin


28th


3


Robot ranking


Mik


28th


5


Profile the Environment.


Steve.


28th


6


Find out target audiences, purposes and formats for both presentations.


Stephen


22nd


7


Team Progress Reports.


David & Colin--Brain.
Michael--Environment.


24th


8


Update Gantt Chart.


Mark.


21st


9


Blocking I/O


Michael.


24th


10


Internal QA


Dave.


24th


11


Feasibility of BOTSstat


MikZ, Dave


28th


8.3.6 Group Meeting Week S12

venue: UWSN KY108 (New Project Room)
time: 28 October 1997, 9:15am
present: Colin, David, Michael (late), Mik, Steve
Apologies from Mark.

8.3.6.1 Agenda Items

8.3.6.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list

Everything was done, except:

#


Description


Person responsible


Was Due


Is it Done?


2


Loading and saving S-Expressions.


Colin


14th


Yes.


3


Robot ranking


Mik


28th


Yes.


5


Profile the Environment.


Michael.


21st


No. Michael said he'd do it yet, but he's not here yet to say whether or not he has. Maybe his head is stuck in the pig.


7


Team Progress Reports.


David & Colin--Brain, Stephen--GUI, Michael--Environment.


18th


Michael still hasn't done his.


8


Update Gantt Chart.


Mark.


21st


Yes.


8.3.6.1.2 Internal QA

Now that internal QA has been completed, the authors of the various modules will fix the problems raised. Not only will this fix problems with our software, but it gives our programmers constructive criticism about their programming styles.

Module/unit/form


Reviewed by


Will be fixed by


Fasteval unit


Steve


Colin


mainfrm.pas


Michael


Colin


Evaluation.pas


Mark


Michael


COMMS.PAS


MikZ


Michael


Environment unit


Steve


Michael


Geometry unit


Steve


Michael


showanenv.pas


David


Mik


botform


Colin


Mik


Runinfofunc.pas


Mark


nobody--it no longer exists... see notes on module abstraction.


Parser.pas


Michael


nobody--it no longer exists... see notes on module abstraction.


ted.pas


David


Steve


CommsDebugDlg


Colin


Steve


RunInformation


Colin


Steve


runinformation.pas


Mark


Steve


bot properties dialogue


MikZ


Steve


ENVIRONMENT BOX


MikZ


Steve


runinformation.pas


Michael


Steve


hits.pas


Michael


Steve


8.3.6.1.3 QA on SAD9707

That group has failed to meet our deadline. We now do not have enough time to do QA on their project, and we will report this as such. Everyone who has spoken to them e-mailed them, or whatever, will document this.

8.3.6.1.4 BOTSSTAT

Mik demonstrated that Excel is quite capable of producing the types of graphs we need.

Some discussion about methods of passing parameters from BOTSstat to Dave's Perl scripts. The easiest way is for us to simply transfer them via a configuration file.

The mirror messages is a more pressing issue for Dave at the moment, although Dave will try to find time to do his side of BOTSstat over the next week or so. Mik will also see if he can make the necessary changes to Dave's Perl scripts.

8.3.6.1.5 Presentation

Our presentation is on 5 November (same date as KBS is due)--a week from tomorrow. It is a progress report, informing everyone what's changed since the end of last semester.

We discussed who was going to do what part, and finalised time limits.

We will meet at 2:00pm this Saturday for our first walkthrough.

8.3.6.1.6 Final Presentation
8.3.6.1.7 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


If Bot.Carrying <> NIL Then Bot.Carrying.Carried := False causes an access violation. Has to be fixed properly!


Dangling pointer problem.


Mark.


No.



8.3.6.2 Non-Agenda Items

Things to add to the user documentation:

8.3.6.3 To Do List

8.3.7 Group Meeting Week S13

venue: UWSN KY108 (New Project Room)
time: 4 November 1997, 9:00am
present: David, Colin (late), Mark (late), Michael, Mik, Steve

8.3.7.1 Agenda Items

8.3.7.1.1 Review of previous week's to do list

Everything was done, except:

8.3.7.1.2 QA on SAD9707

That group tried to give us some documentation last Thursday, but since it was past the deadline, we declined. This has been documented in Report VI.

8.3.7.1.3 Report VI
8.3.7.1.3.1 Mirror messages

Mark will write about this by noon today.

8.3.7.1.3.2 File formats (eg: SEx)

Steve will write about these by noon today.

8.3.7.1.3.3 Gantt Chart

Mark, with the help of the rest of us, will get this done by 1:00pm today.

8.3.7.1.3.4 Client Meeting Minutes

These have not been written, but as a group we remembered what happened and wrote the minutes.

8.3.7.1.4 Implementation of Files

The loading and saving of all data has now been implemented. Mik and Steve will change the main window so the currently loaded files are shown on the status line.

8.3.7.1.5 This Week's Presentation
8.3.7.1.6 Bug list

Deficiency:


Possible Remedy:


Who will fix it?


Is it fixed?


Further comments


If Bot.Carrying <> NIL Then Bot.Carrying.Carried := False causes an access violation. Has to be fixed properly!


Dangling pointer problem.


Mark.


No.


This is a minor problem, so we've given Mark until the 18th to fix it.


Show Environment button doesn't work in the Bot window.


Uncomment and debug.


Steve and Mik.




8.3.7.2 Non-Agenda Items

8.3.7.3 To Do List

8.4 CLIENT MEETINGS

8.4.1 Client Meeting Week S2

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 5 August 1997, 3:00pm
present: Colin, David (late), Mark, Michael, Steve

8.4.2 Client Meeting Week S3

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 12 August 1997, 3:00pm
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael, Steve

8.4.3 Client Meeting Week S4

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 19 August 1997, 3:00pm
present: Colin, David (late), Mark, Michael, Steve

8.4.4 Client Meetings Week S5 to S8

There were no client meetings during these weeks. The client was unavailable because of travel commitments and personal hardship.

8.4.5 Client Meeting Week S9

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 23 September 1997, 3:00pm
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael (asleep), Mik, Steve

8.4.5.1 Discussion Points for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

8.4.5.1.1 Fitness function

Functions tried so far:

Function


Result


Raw Fitness


Punish good bots


Raw Fitness / Distance


Punish good bots


1/(((Raw Fitness + 1) / (Distance + 1)) + Raw Fitness + 1)


Does not run towards block, picks up well


Distance / (Raw Fitness + 1)


Punishes Picking up Poor at Running towards block


Distance / (Raw Fitness + 1) ^ 2


Punishes Picking up Poor at Running towards block


Distance + 200--(Diaganal * Raw Fitness)


Does not pick up


8.4.5.1.2 Is it okay if we deliver just (a really good version of) what we promised last semester?

Yes.

8.4.5.1.3 Does George want a Report V? If so, by when?

Week 10.

8.4.5.1.4 We need updates of the following utilities to implement CVS:

8.4.5.2 Non-Agenda Items for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

George wants a demonstartion of BOTSsim in week 10.

8.4.6 Client Meeting Week S10

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 14 October 1997, 3:00pm
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael, Steve

8.4.6.1 Discussion Points for This Afternoon's Client Meeting

8.4.6.1.1 Current issues:

We discussed the current issues:

8.4.6.1.2 Brief Team Progress Reports.

We briefed George on our progress since the last client meeting, highlighting the fact that runs can now be loaded and saved. We also informed George that we have decided not to implement CVS, because of time restrictions.

8.4.7 Client Meeting Week S11

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 21 October 1997, 3:00pm
present: Colin, David, Mark, Michael, Steve

8.4.7.1 Agenda Items

8.4.7.1.1 QA on SAD9707
8.4.7.1.2 Report IV:
8.4.7.1.3 Demonstration

8.4.7.2 Non-Agenda Items

8.4.7.2.1 Change in User Wish List

8.4.8 Client Meeting Week S12

venue: UWSN KY336 (George's Room)
time: 28 October 1997, 3:00pm.
present: Colin, David, Michael, Steve.

8.4.8.1 Agenda Items

8.4.8.1.1 Demonstration:
8.4.8.1.2 Report V:
8.4.8.1.3 More Printer Credits Required

[2]

Of course, we don't know who our user will be at the moment.

[3] We were never really sure what Mark meant by this.

[4] This is only if time permits, since Colin and Mark have to rush off to some 6:00pm lecture at Westmead.[5]

This has already been done. [6]

We will revise the basic components to the project, ie: brain, GUI, environment, TED, and possibly help, for Version 2.


<< , >> , Title , Contents , Index